[Ubuntu] GDAL Packaging

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Aug 17 08:19:06 PDT 2013

Am 17.08.2013 01:37, schrieb Frank Warmerdam:> Alan / others,

> At my current job we use GDAL on ubuntu for some things.  We have been
> using the standard version of GDAL packaged for Ubuntu (precise) so far,
> but I'd like to start using builds of trunk so I can add capabilities
> and fixes.  I've been encouraged to package trunk for Ubuntu as that
> would fit smoothly into our deployment strategy.

I would strongly suggest to use recipe base builds.

See my decriptions for GRASS here:
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Packaging#GRASS_PPA_Packages

You can ask me if you have questions.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable/+files/gdal_1.10.0.orig.tar.gz

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable/+files/gdal_1.10.0-1~precise1.debian.tar.gz

> unpacked them and tried:
>
>   debuild -uc -us

try:
dpkg-buildpackage -sa -rfakeroot

this gets you the source

to build the binary:
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

After having figured it out, I would suggest you to use bzr builder &
pbuilder:

* cd /tmp
* bzr dailydeb --allow-fallback-to-native gdal_local.recipe ./tmp/gdal-build
* cd gdal-build
* sudo pbuilder --build ./*.dsc

Adavntage of pbuilder:
* uses an isolated invironment
* does simulate a bare system (checks for dependancies)