[Ubuntu] New PostGIS update

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Jul 6 11:09:32 PDT 2013

On 07/06/2013 10:35 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Angelos,
>
> On Sat, 06. Jul 2013 at 20:18:12 +0300, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>> What I propose:
>> 1. All the well tested deb files (used in previous OSGeoLive version)
>> should be moved to Stable.
>> 2. All new packaging should happen in Testing.
>> 3. Move from Testing to Unstable should happen only if there is at least
>> a working version of the package in Stable. So if something is not
>> working as expected (like in the postgis case, the previous builds gets
>> restored within minutes)
>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Shouldn't that be unstable => testing => stable?
>

> Jürgen

To match Debian, yes I think so. However the way we have been using it is:

testing => unstable => stable

I'd also like to propose that we keep a place where we can archive
slightly older releases, ie postgis 1.5 for things older than 12.04,
when qgis 2.0 comes out somewhere to keep 1.8 etc, gdal 1.9.x once gdal
1.10 comes out. So that people with stable systems don't necessarily
need to upgrade.

Maybe "archive" or just a policy that stable keeps it's current versions
for older ubuntu releases and only changes for newer releases when it's
something newer than the stock package (ie postgis 2 for ubuntu 12.04+
makes sense, but for 10.04 stable should have 1.5)

Kinda complicated but it makes it clear that once you lock in stable,
you'll only get bug fix/minor/security releases where as unstable will
get you new features releases. Right now I have to remember not to run a
blanket update on my 10.04 machines to avoid pulling postgis 2 which
would break long running systems.

Thanks,
Alex