[Ubuntu] Adding GeoNode to UbuntuGIS

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jul 18 00:53:15 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:59:40AM +0300, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
>
> I have done the packaging of pycsw and owslib.
> There is an open ticket about bringing them to DebianGIS but it is
> left behind.

Where can I (as a very Debian centric person) read about those "ticket".
The only way I know to claim that a package should be integrated into
Debian is by filing a WNPP bug report but I was not able to find such
thing for both packages.

> >My intention is at some point in the future to not require a custom PPA for
> >GeoNode (not even Ubuntugis). Since all the dependencies are plain python
> >packages with tests and clear licenses (mostly BSD), I am confident they
> >can be added to unstable in Debian and to the Universe in Ubuntu.

IMHO this is a very reasonable attempt and I'd be happy to support from
the Debian side.

> >Does anyone here have experience with that who could mentor me?

What do you mean by "mentor me".  I offered to sponsor packages to the
Debian pool which for you means finally some automatic propagation to
official Ubuntu.  This works perfectly nice for years for the Debian Med
team.  I did offered a way how you can get sponsored by me here:

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends/SoB

If you are interested to move your package into Debian and have no idea
what the above procedure means feel free to ask for clarification.

> >>The fact that a lot of the packages included in your PPA are not GIS
> >>related is a bit of a problem. We're not too sure if we want to add that
> >>many non-gis packages in UbuntuGIS that are only needed for one package.

BTW, I fail to understand this arguing.  Somehow you need some
preconditions.  Neither a linux kernel nor libc are GIS centric but you
need them for running a reasonable GIS system.  So where do you want to
draw the line for non-GIS precondistions?  The main clue is to bring all
these non-<specific-field> preconditions into the base distribution
hoping that other maintainers of other fields will help you in
maintenance.  But the initial push to get this packaged at all should
come from a highly motivated team and this could be *because* a package
is some precondition for <specific-field>.

> >>I'm wondering what the people using UbuntuGIS think about adding GeoNode
> >>and all the required packages to the repo?

This finally is another argument to not focus to much onto a final
product like UbuntuGIS but rather care for a rich stack of GIS material
inside the base distribution and later just cherry-pick from it for your
final product.

> >>Anyway good work on the packaging it's nice to see another software with a
> >>super easy install :).

So this sounds like reasonable targets for SoB (see above).

> >>On 13-07-15 03:23 PM, Ariel Nunez wrote:
> >>  What would be the process to suggest those packages[2] for inclusion in
> >>ubuntugis unstable?
> >>[2] https://launchpad.net/~geonode/+archive/unstable<https://launchpad.net/%7Egeonode/+archive/unstable>

I can not help for this but for Debian unstable I can.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de