[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS PSC Creation

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Nov 6 13:54:59 PST 2013

On 11/06/2013 12:41 PM, Ivan Mincik wrote:
> Dear Alan, at first thank You for Your work (and also for work of others in
> this project). I am following UbuntuGIS for some time and I started to
> maintain my own PPA fork [1] some time ago, because I needed full control
> of packages. I am little bit involved in packaging. Here is my opinion:
>
> 1. This project definitely needs a strong leader with experience.

Or PSC, I don't think there needs to be one person in charge if there's
a group that meets regularly to set the items below.

> 2. UbuntuGIS lacks clear roadmap. Maybe it is loosing skilled hands just
> because they are not aware about fact they are needed. Preparing roadmap
> must by one of the most important tasks of project leader and PSC.

It doesn't seem like this would be hard to write up if a few of us met
online for a few minutes.

> 3. Other very important task is clearly stated work flow in terms how to
> cooperate with Debian on regular basis.

Agreed, seems recent meetings might have started down this path.

> 4. Still at least by my opinion, the PPA naming  stable, testing, unstable
> is very confusing for all newcomers which automatically expect the same
> behavior as in Debian. If this schema remains the same, or it will change
> to something other, it needs clearly documented workflow how packages
> migrates from testing, staging to production and how often and under which
> circumstances production packages are upgraded.

I agree this is confusing and maybe the roadmap helps clear it up.

> 5. As in other voluntary projects, there is a lack of manpower. But on the
> other hand, there are no rules which new contributors or uploaders must
> meet. Also I do not see any list of free tasks for new people.

I'm not aware of anyone being a designated maintainer, so its more a
free for all once someone is granted access. Maybe we need to keep a
list of who is responsible for what, of course when one project needs
half the packages rebuilt that gets tricky to coordinate/wait.

> 6. The last one is the question if there is some possibility to get some
> support from OSGeo [2] ?

What kind of support besides the mailing list, trac site, summer of code
spot?

Thanks,
Alex