[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS PSC Creation

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:02:22 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> On 11/06/2013 12:41 PM, Ivan Mincik wrote:
> > Dear Alan, at first thank You for Your work (and also for work of others
> in
> > this project). I am following UbuntuGIS for some time and I started to
> > maintain my own PPA fork [1] some time ago, because I needed full control
> > of packages. I am little bit involved in packaging. Here is my opinion:
> >
> > 1. This project definitely needs a strong leader with experience.
> >
> Or PSC, I don't think there needs to be one person in charge if there's
> a group that meets regularly to set the items below.

Agreed.

> > 2. UbuntuGIS lacks clear roadmap. Maybe it is loosing skilled hands just
> > because they are not aware about fact they are needed. Preparing roadmap
> > must by one of the most important tasks of project leader and PSC.
> >
> It doesn't seem like this would be hard to write up if a few of us met
> online for a few minutes.
>
> > 3. Other very important task is clearly stated work flow in terms how to
> > cooperate with Debian on regular basis.
> >
> Agreed, seems recent meetings might have started down this path.
>
> > 4. Still at least by my opinion, the PPA naming  stable, testing,
> unstable
> > is very confusing for all newcomers which automatically expect the same
> > behavior as in Debian. If this schema remains the same, or it will change
> > to something other, it needs clearly documented workflow how packages
> > migrates from testing, staging to production and how often and under
> which
> > circumstances production packages are upgraded.
> >
> I agree this is confusing and maybe the roadmap helps clear it up.
>
> > 5. As in other voluntary projects, there is a lack of manpower. But on
> the
> > other hand, there are no rules which new contributors or uploaders must
> > meet. Also I do not see any list of free tasks for new people.
> >
> I'm not aware of anyone being a designated maintainer, so its more a
> free for all once someone is granted access. Maybe we need to keep a
> list of who is responsible for what, of course when one project needs
> half the packages rebuilt that gets tricky to coordinate/wait.
>

> > 6. The last one is the question if there is some possibility to get some
> > support from OSGeo [2] ?
> >
> What kind of support besides the mailing list, trac site, summer of code
> spot?
>
> Some time ago I was pointed by somebody to that wiki page about 'OSGeo
Binary Distributions'. I have realized that until now there is no official,
up-to-date and well maintained GIS packages distribution for Linux which
OSGeo can recommend as the number one. I really appreciate very much the
work of Debian|Ubuntu GIS people, but it is still only very good voluntary.
To be successful in enterprise deployment one needs predictable and stable
maintenance of packages, something similar as 'OpenGeo Suite' is. Isn't
that one of the goals of OSGeo ? What if UbuntuGIS would be that official
packages distribution for OSGeo ? As Frank said, it is even possible to get
some financial support once the project is accepted in to incubator. I
think that there should be much more other benefits to exist under trusted
organization.