[Ubuntu] My actions after the IRC meeting (Was: Reminder and Agenta for IRC meeting)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 17 10:24:23 PDT 2013

Hi,

as you know yesterday we had an IRC meeting[1] and I want to present
first results from the meeting.

1. Moved debian-gis from SVN to Git
-----------------------------------

As you hopefully know the debian-gis source package also contain the
tasks which are responsible for the web sentinel[2].  In the meeting it
was decided to move it from SVN to Git.  So if you

   debcheckout --user=<you> debian-gis

you get only a README.status file pointing to the new location[3].
Note to Hamish: You see that I did not followed your initial wish
to move it to pkg-grass area.  You had the reasoning:

Sep 16 22:38:26 <Hamish_B>      better to put debiangis things in debiangis repo IMO, then have blends be the servant not the master

because there is no such thing like a master-servant relation.
Currently most Blends are inside blends/project and as long as
there is no more stringent reason to change this it has some
advantages to stick here.  I ensured that the interested members
of the IRC meeting yesterday are granted commit-permissions by
adding

  Francesco Lovergine (frankie)
  Hamish Bowman (hamish-guest)
  Bas Couwenberg (sebastic-guest)

to the Blends team.  If this should show any drawback we can
move the Git repository easily.

2. Wrote script to easily trigger websentinel creation

I mentioned yesterday that it is documented how to receate the web
sentinel after changing the tasks[4].  To smoothen your learning curve
I added a small script[5] which you can call like

   blends_websentinel_update debian-gis

to trigger the creation of the web pages[6].  I hope you consider this
useful.  Please test, whether it really works for you.  Please note that
the script also fetches a logfile which contains useful information
about packages that are not found (may be spelling errors, different
name of binary and source package - you always need to specify source
packages).

3. OSGEO categories
-------------------

Hamish pointed me to a set of OSGEO categories[7].  I promised to
inject these into the Blends framework and did the first one while
the IRC meeting was running.  Because this is high on my todo list
I think I manage this before my vacation.

4. Update osm2pgsql
-------------------

"apmon" (whoever this nick might belong to) asked about an upgrade of
osm2pgsql.  I had a look into this and might at least push the package a
bit.  No promise that I'll finish it before my VAC (starting at 20.9.).

5. Sponsering of osgearth
-------------------------

Bas Couwenberg has added osgearth to my SoB[8] page.  I confirm that
osgearth is on the Blends pages[9] so the SoB criterion is matched.  Bas
I try to do my best but VAC is approaching (see above).

6. Wiki links to new thermometer
--------------------------------

There was agreement to link to the new Blends based thermometer[10] on
DebianGis Wiki[11] and I also replaced this link at [12] and [13].  It
might make sense to set a redirect on the old thermometer page anyway.

Thanks to all who joined the meeting

    Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/Meeting
[2] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-sentinel.en.html
[3] git://anonscm.debian.org/blends/projects/gis.git
[4] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ap-DevelDescription.en.html#s-webpagecreation
[5] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=blends/website.git;a=blob;f=misc/tools/blends_websentinel_update
[6] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks/
[7] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_icons_and_menus.sh#L34