[Ubuntu] My actions after the IRC meeting (Was: Reminder and Agenta for IRC meeting)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 17 23:52:19 PDT 2013

Hi Jérémy,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:12:58AM +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> Some minor comments :
>
>  * please document in changelog the switch to dh9, and why (is it for
>    a simpler hardening config, for multiarch ?)

Uhmm, just forgot to mention this. (fixed)  I always use debhelper 9
since it is in stable.  The main reason is hardening.

>  * LastChanged isn't a DEP3 field. Last-Update and Author are.

fixed (sorry for beeing lazy to check DEP3)

>  * the fact the source has some files stripped out of it should be
>    documented in the Source multiline field of debian/copyright,
>    for ease of maintenance.

Hmmm, the only files that are striped out are from a debian/ dir inside
the original source.  I forgot to mention that we should talk to
upstream (which is hereby done because Kai Krueger is obviously reading
the list) to drop these files and integrate them properly into our
packaging repository.

Or do you refering to something else?  I used

  git import-orig --pristine-tar

and needed to merge the diff in debian/ afterwards.

I have noticed that upstream contains some debconf code which is lacking
in our packaging but could be potentially interesting.  If somebody
volunteers to test it we should probably include it as well (and ask
upstream to completely drop the debian/ dir.  Kai, if you want to join
the packaging effort together with Debian GIS team you should create a
login at https://alioth.debian.org and become a member of pkg-grass.  I
would (strongly) recommend this.

>  * i propose to watch github like that:
>    version=3
>    opts=filenamemangle=s/.+\/v?(\d\S*)\.tar\.gz/osm2pgsql-$1.tar.gz/ \
>    https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/releases .*/v?(\d\S*)\.tar\.gz

Fine for me.  If you have tested this please commit yourself.

> * and get-orig-source from github using uscan, see for example
>   http://sources.debian.net/src/mapnik-vector-tile/0.3.2%2Bdfsg-1/debian/rules

Usually I create only get-orig-source targets when some repackaging is
needed.  BTW, just for removing files from a tarball there is some light
at horizon with an enhanced uscan[1].  I'm personally using this since
a long time and perhaps mapnik-vector-tile could be simplified by using
this.

A safe way for those who do not have the enhanced uscan in their path is
demonstrated here:

   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/python-biom-format/trunk/debian/get-orig-source?view=markup

This could help as long as this new code is not integrated into
devscripts.

> I can do the changes myself and push them, or part of them, if you agree.

I definitely agree and from my perspective there is no need to ask in
team maintained packages (even if some coordination does not harm for
sure).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

PS: There is no need to CC me, I'm subscribed to both lists

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements

--
http://fam-tille.de