[Ubuntu] GeoServer and GeoTools Debian/Ubuntu Packaging

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Wed Jul 16 01:48:21 PDT 2014

Andreas,

unsupported in the GeoTools context means bugs will not be fixed. It
does not mean that the module will FTBFS or that test failure is permitted.

Some unsupported modules have enough users that they are included in the
build by popular demand. The main GeoTools continuous integration build
includes those modules activated by -Dall.
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/build/maven/tips.html

Unsupported modules are those that have not yet qualified for supported
status or have been demoted because they have no maintainer.
http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/procedures/supported.html

While an unsupported module's unit tests continue to pass, it can
continue in the build until it is superseded or its unit tests do not
survive refactoring or maintenance.

For a module to be included in a release, even an unsupported module, it
must build from source and its tests must pass.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 16/07/14 14:14, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:03:53AM +0800, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>> Some GeoTools unsupported jars are included in standard releases.
>
> As I told before I'm not a GIS expert - so please take my advise which
> basically comes from a Debian packaging point of view with a grain of
> salt.  Perhaps the name "unsupported" is badly choosen?  But can you
> please be more verbose about what should be considered as "standard
> releases".

>> recommend that Ubuntu include those jars; they are those included in
>> the build with the -Dall property. The the unsupported/pom.xml for
>> details.
>
> I could imagine a split into different binary packages, say for instance
>
>     geotools and geotools-unsupported
>
> I guess there is some reason why upstream makes this distinction and I'm
> personally hesitating to support something (on our own?) in
> Debian/Ubuntu if upstream does not.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

Software Engineer