[Ubuntu] Plan for QGIS and GRASS versions, etc...

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Thu Aug 6 05:12:17 PDT 2015

I appreciate it.

One question I have - or worry about - so on my main machine I run QGIS
2.8.x and I also run PostGIS/Postgres from installed from UbuntuGIS. I
don't have a "server" - so everything runs locally.

I noticed on my laptop that I can get PostGIS/PostGres now from the main
ubuntu repositories. I worry that at some point QGIS (from QGIS repo)
and postgis/postgres (from ubuntu) will drift....in other words I can't
install one because the other has different dependencies. Could that
happen? I'm not enough of a packaging expert to know (although I want to
learn).

That's been my big hesitation on switching to the QGIS repositories -
I'm starting down a road that makes my life harder as opposed to easier
(and I think my life is easier with ubuntugis).

Thank you for the information.

Randy

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc