[Ubuntu] php5-mapscript in ubuntugis-unstable?

Saul Farber saul at peoplegis.com
Sun Jul 17 22:46:30 PDT 2016

Hello ubuntugis!

It appears to me that ubuntugis-unstable does *not* provide a
*php5-mapscript* package for trusty.  That package looks to only be
published in the trusty/universe repository:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+package/php5-mapscript

ubuntugis-unstable provides *perl, java, python and ruby* bindings, but
not php.  Is this intentional, or an oversight?

I would*love* to see an ubuntugis-unstable provided php5-mapscript
package.  Is there something I can do to keep them available?

Completely separately, it looks like ubuntugis-unstable is providing an
out-of-date dependency for libgdal1h, which (when ubuntugis-unstable is
added as a repo) breaks the install of the trusty/universe
*php5-mapscript* package.

root at 1f2f83e7fca6:/# apt-cache policy libgdal1h
libgdal1h:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 1.11.2+dfsg-1~exp2~trusty
   Version table:
      1.11.2+dfsg-1~exp2~trusty 0
         500
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu/
trusty/main amd64 Packages
      1.10.1+dfsg-5ubuntu1 0
         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
Packages

To see this issue, try the following:

1. Start from a "fresh" ubuntu 14.04 install
2. Add the ubuntugis-unstable repo
3. *$ **apt-get update && apt-get install php5-mapscript*

To see the underlying issue, you can also do:
3a. *$ apt-get update && apt-get install libgdal1h*

Is the provided *libgdal1h* package intentional?  I can't find mention
of that package being published here:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=trusty

Again, is there anything I can do to convince you to provide
php5-mapscript packages in ubuntugis-unstable?

Take care,
--saul
*
*