[Ubuntu] QGis 3 on UbuntuGIS PPA

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Oct 31 03:37:14 PDT 2018

[plain text would work better for me - also for the mail archive. see
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2018-October/001773.html]

Hi Micha,

On Wed, 31. Oct 2018 at 11:18:27 +0200, Micha Silver wrote:
> "The only versions of Qgis that require Ubuntugis are those built for
> Xenial and earlier versions of Ubuntu. It is not required for later
> versions of Ubuntu as the required packages are included in those
> distros standard repositories."

That just means the qgis.org doesn't have uptodate xenial builds for stock
ubuntu as dependencies there are too old to build qgis with.

Usually also older versions of dependencies work, but newer versions for
ubuntugis just enable extra features or are otherwise preferable.  But
sometimes keeping support for an old version requires just to much effort.

> So what would be the "best practice" for keeping an ubuntu system updated
> as far as the GIS stack? QGIS.org + ubuntgis stable? or QGIS.org +
> ubuntugis unstable? or something else?

That's up to you and depends on your needs.

You can use the stock qgis packages - but those might be old.

You can use the newer qgis.org packages - but those might lack features,
because stock ubuntu dependencies are too old.  But it only introduces
qgis and might avoid conflicts introduced by ubuntugis, if you also use other
package sources (postgis from postgresql.org, which also requires GDAL &
friends?).

You can use the ubuntugis qgis package - but that only offers LTR.

You can use qgis.org ubuntugis packages for the latest release, which ubuntugis
doesn't offer.  For LTR there's not much difference between the qgis packages
from ubuntugis or qgis.org.

What dependencies QGIS needs and what ubuntugis & stock ubuntu offer changes
over time.  So what's works good now, might not be best tomorrow.

I use Debian ;)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de