[Ubuntu] QGis 3 on UbuntuGIS PPA

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch
Wed Oct 31 07:40:49 PDT 2018

Dear all,

a couple of points on this, from a mere Ubuntu user:

- While I have not tried it yet with 18.04, in previous LTS releases mixing the UbuntuGIS and QGis PPAs led inevitably to unmet dependencies, or worse. Hard learned experience tells me to install as much OSGeo stuff as possible from UbuntuGIS and avoid alternative PPAs.

- For an unexperienced Ubuntu user (to mee too) it is unclear which PPA is the most appropriate to obtain OSGeo sanctioned software.

- It seems odd that OSGeo charter members maintain parallel PPAs. Intuitively, concentrating efforts in one PPA would likely be more efficient.

I understand there are good reasons for the current situation, but perhaps it can improve.

Regards.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Email: luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch
RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.