[Ubuntu] MapServer Python MapScript and Wheels/Ubuntu Packages

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 20 22:01:33 PDT 2018

On 9/20/18 11:35 PM, Seth G wrote:
> I see there is already a 7.2 python-mapscript package available at https://packages.ubuntu.com/en/cosmic/python-mapscript
> Can Python packages released on Ubuntu make use of wheels to create the package?

No, the product of a Debian source package build process are binary
packages.

> Would a python3-mapscript package also be possible to create?

Not easily. The upstream build process only supports building with a
single Python version. We'll need to rebuild mapserver with every
supported Python version in Debian like we do for Ruby to add support
for Python 3, and I'm not very fond of that.

Kind Regards,

Bas