[OSGeo-UK] UK postcode database

Charles Arnot arnotc at rpsgroup.com
Wed Sep 23 05:06:46 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Just to be pedantic on the analogy front, the Pirate Bay analogy is not
accurate, if you download something from a torrent site like Pirate Bay,
you will be downloading a small torrent file which is not illegal. If
you then use the torrent file with a torrent client to download what
ever target file the torrent is distributing (i.e. a film, postcode data
etc.)  you will be illegally distributing the target file (if it is
copyrighted material) because of the nature of a peer to peer
distribution network in which you both download and upload the target
file to/from other peoples computers simultaneously.

In the case of wiki leaks if you chose to download the postcode data you
are not simultaneously uploading it over a peer to peer network and
therefore not actively distributing it.

It's therefore not the same.

As to whether it's illegal just to download copyright material I'm not
sure if the act itself is illegal. It is though, as we are all aware, an
infringement to have unlicensed/out of licence material on your computer
so it's a mute point.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to discuss what open source/free
geocoding resources there are out there.

I have use this site 'http://www.batchgeocode.com/' to batch geocode uk
address with some degree of success (about a 80% match), no doubt there
are better options available?

Charlie