[OSGeo-UK] Email Newsletter to event attendees

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Mon Sep 25 08:28:27 PDT 2023

Hi All,

I'm going to bite...

Why would you want the mental burden of having to maintain a second email
list for OSGeo:UK? It's not like the existing one is particularly high
traffic, so why dilute it even further?

All the best

Jo

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM Nick Bearman via UK <uk at lists.osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Thanks Steven - this looks good.
>
> How important do you think segmentation is? I think it could be useful
> going forward if we want to be a bit more strategic - e.g. sending
> different emails to people interested in different venues - but not sure if
> we want to get that complex!
>
> Only other thing that comes to mind is GDPR compliance - I assume they all
> are, but it is something we should check before signing up.
>
> Any comments from anyone else?
>
> Best wishes,
> Nick.
> On 20/09/2023 3:28 pm, Steven Feldman wrote:
>
> While we were preparing for FOSS4GUK we talked about the possibility of
> building a mailing list to send infrequent newsletters to people who
> attended our events but might not want to follow this list. This would help
> us market to potential attendees and sponsors.
>
> I undertook to review the free tiers of several of the commercial
> services. I did not consider any self hosted solutions as I don’t have the
> skills to stand something like that up, but if anyone is willing to do that
> feel free to put your hand up!
>
> Here are the best options that I found:
>

>    - Zoho is free for up to 2k contacts and 6k emails per month but has
>    no segmentation https://www.zoho.com/campaigns/pricing.html?src=dd
>    - Brevo (formerly Send in Blue) offers unlimited contacts but only 300
>    emails per day (so would require batching somehow) and includes
>    segmentation
>    https://www.brevo.com/pricing/marketing-platform/see-all-features/
>    -
>    - Sender looks good 2,500 free contacts and 15,000 sends per month,
>    includes segmentation. They also offer a PAYG model where we pay £4.68/1000
>    emails if we need the advanced features but only a few times per year
>    https://www.sender.net/pricing/
>

> Thoughts?
> ______
> Steven
>
> 🐘: @stevenfeldman <https://mastodon.me.uk/@stevenfeldman>
> - Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
> - Co-host of the Geomob podcast <https://thegeomob.com/podcast>
> - Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild <http://eepurl.com/dKStT-/>”
> newsletter

> --
> Nick Bearman
> +44 (0) 7717745715nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
>
> Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.

*Jo Cook*
*Data Discovery Lead, Astun Technology*
t:+44 7930 524 155 | twitter:@archaeogeek | mastodon:@archaeogeek
@mastodon.social
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For urgent
our office on 01372 744009

  * Book a call
<https://www.astuntechnology.com/about/#meet-our-experts> with one of us

updates
iShare - enterprise geographic intelligence platform
<https://www.astuntechnology.com/cloud-products/ishare/>

GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://www.astuntechnology.com/training/>
Open
Source Support <https://www.astuntechnology.com/support/>

Astun
Technology Ltd t:+44 1372 744 009 contact us online
<https://www.astuntechnology.com/contact-us/>
web: astuntechnology.com
<https://www.astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

Company registration no. 5410695.
Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: Penrose House, 67
Hightown Road, Banbury, OX16 9BE VAT no. 864201149.