[OSGeo-UK] Call to discussion on [QGIS-Developer] Theoretical discussion: A QGIS paid plugin marketplace?

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 11:10:50 PST 2024

Dear Valerio & list,

Thank you for raising this on the UK list. I have been following the
discussion on the QGIS-Developer list and it is really interesting - do
sign up if you want to.

Of particularly interest is the Blender Plugin market place, where
people can pay to purchase plugins for Blender. This seems to be a
viable solution for Blender.

The two key points seem that a) the Blender marketplace is a separate
organisation to the Blender Foundation and b) all plugins need to be GPL
(even the paid ones). GPL doesn't prevent charging for software but does
require the source code to be open, which might appear a bit odd at
first, but it seems this appears not to create a problem.

My personal view is that it would be good to create this as an option,
as long as QGIS itself remains freely available.

Please do share your own views!

Best wishes,
Nick.