[UN] R: From Deqing (First UN World Geospatial Information Congress)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:28:26 PST 2018

Maria,

+0 from me to cover travel expenses, but not lost income. Like Bruce,
I'm concerned that we are setting a poor precedent if an OSGeo
non-for-profit representative is attending without expenses paid. I
think it is important to recognise that our time and advice is valuable,
that we have significantly less funding sources than other agencies, and
that we are not in a position to sustainably keep paying to attend lots
of events.

Having said that. I think that is likely pragmatic in this case to get
our message put forward. Could you please reply with a "Return on
Investment" statement. I suggest including:

An estimate of the costs.

Explain how far you are traveling. Explain that there is not a local
person suitably qualified or available who could attend in your place
(which could keep the cost down).

Explain what you what you intend to present (as you have done already),
but also what outcomes you hope to achieve. An desired desired outcome
might be to have the UN publicly commit to prioritising Open Source and
Open Data in policy documentation.

Maria, I trust your motivations. I think that following this process of
requesting for money will help with transparency and help people
following in your footsteps to be considered trustworthy.

Warm regards, Cameron

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254