[vector-tiles] Curious if anyone is submitting a workshop for FOSS4G Boston?

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:17:24 PST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Pirmin Kalberer <pka at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Freitag, 10. März 2017 09:31:31 CET Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> We will be submitting one about tegola and planning to cover the use
>> of Maputnik and mapboxgl styles in the client side libraries (ol3 and
>> mapboxgl-js).
>>
>> Proposal is here. Would appreciate any feedback and very open to
>> collaborating.
>>
>> There was also some discussion about setting up a performance shootout
>> in Boston. Any chance we can pick up that discussion here?
>
> No plans for a workshop on my side, but I'll definitely submit a presentation.
> Either  an overview/comparison of MVT tile server implementations or a talk
> dedicated to t-rex.
> Next week, I'll prepare presentation for the German speaking FOSS4G starting
> at March 22. I'll compare node-mapnik&Co, Tilezen tileserver, Tegola, t-rex,
> GeoServer and PostGIS ST_AsMVT. Hopefully my comparison tests can serve as an
> input for the performance shootout in Boston. I'll probably work with the
> Natural Earth dataset, which has a reasonable size.

Great! Would love to see this comparison. We also talked about a kind
of panel on using these new fangled languages like go and rust. Maybe
we can submit a joint talk for that?

I'll get in touch with Michael and Guido (LOC) about organizing the
shootout. We are going to be working on a benchmarking framework for
tegola in the next months, so would be great to collaborate on how to
make sure we are testing the right things etc.

Looking forward to seeing you in Boston!