OSGeo demo stack and operative services

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sun Apr 2 13:58:53 EDT 2006

Hi Mark, Norman,
thank you for coordinating this. I don't know how much has been said
already regarding the software stack. So this is talked at large (in
German we say into the blue): We suggest to install and maintain a
stable version of a basic stack. ('basic stack' refers to the below
software list that most of our client's sites run as productive
systems). The stack includes:
* PostgreSQl as database
* PostGIS as spatial extension
* MapServer as WMS
* GeoServer as WFS-T
* Mapbender and MapBuilder as WMS and WFS-T Client

We have this package running on FreeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandrake,
Gentoo (and probably some others including good old windoze). You will
know which OS it should be.

MapServer automatically brings some HTML demos that just need to get set
up. GeoServer packages with MapBuilder, so we'd have that one too almost
automatically. They also provide for some demo data that could be moved
into the PostgreSQL database. We'd throw in some Open/Free data for
Germany (nothing special, just some very rough topography,
infrastructure, place names and postal code polygons). Mapbender brings
in a hundred OGC service URL that are operated all over the world. All
of these would be added as records/features to both WFS and WMS service
as rectangles (the corresponding bboxes) to serve as source for
discovery and harvesting (delivery for the Public Geospatial Data
Committee). A WMS getFeatureInfo request on MapServer would return the
respective Capabilities URL and a description, the coresponding
GeoServer WFS getFeature request additionally the bbox rectangle and
some meta data. This could be enhanced with a Wiki page adding some
human readable discussion for each service. We have started doing this
at the Mapbender Wiki but as it is a central thing we suggest to move
the efforts to the OSGeo right away.

Once this is set up and running it would be easy to derive/implement
some services that could be operated as a foundation to the Public
Geospatial Data Committee list/library (hey Jo).

One of the next services that we would suggest to get done is an OSGeo
member WMS and WFS-T. Everybody who entered a coordinate to:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/All_Members
could easily be transferred as a WKT point to the PostgreSQL/PostGIS
database and served as a map by MapServer and as WFS GML by GeoServer,
display and editing can be done with Mapbender and MapBuilder. Something
like that. All the projects have a user map (GRASS, Mapbender,
GeoServer, MapServer, etc.) and the OSGeo should also have one.

I expect the demo and operative services to run on the same boxes.
"Operative services" refers to WMS and WFS and later maybe catalog
services etc. whichever content might want to be edited and maintained
by the Geodata Committee.

To do this some tools might also be helpful, for example a phppgadmin to
access the database, etc.

If you want us to lay hands on a box to get all the stuff installed and
configured we simply need an account to get there. Thats all I guess.

Best regards,
Arnulf.