[Web Comm] Need a couple more profiles

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 2 15:39:07 EDT 2006

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. I got on a bit of a tear and wrote the previous
> ones up, and then started evaluating the proposed website content
> against the user needed.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus
>
> I am starting to wonder if I should take this up with the viability
> committee? Anyone care to clarify the focus difference between the two
> committees?

Jody,

In my opinion the Web Committee is responsible for the organization of
the web site, and ensuring it meets the various visitor profiles.  The
Visibility and Promotion committee can be seen as driving general awareness
in the broader geospatial community about what OSGeo does.  It will no
doubt provide some promotional material for the web site, but I see it's
role more as driving traffic to the web site rather detailed organization
of the web site.

Of course there is some overlap.  In particular, VisCom has gone through
some of the same process of identifying different subcommunities that it
needs to reach out to.  The "enterprise decision maker", the "end user"
and the "developer" for instance.  So a little coordination may be in
order though I think cross membership will take care of that.