[Web Comm] New content. Please review...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 10 15:51:20 EDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:

> I've added three new project pages, and adjusted some of the existing ones.  Can you please give them a sanity check before they go out for review to make sure I didn't do something stupid like mixing up the features?

Jason,

Based on a quick skim, I think the project pages look good.

> https://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/how_can_i_help_osgeo.html

I found the "how can I help" document great, but very project oriented.
It doesn't really talk about how people can help OSGeo - instead coming
across in a very project-community oriented way.

> https://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/why_open_source_geospatial.html

This is a nice job, but I'm not sure I'm really satisfied with it.

Interoperability
 - Not all open source packages do a good job at interoperability.
   This point seems more in support of standards based software and
   only loosely applies to open source.

 Rapid innovation
  - right on.  short "time to market" for new features is clearly a
benefit of open source.

Elegant Solutions
 - I found this point a bit weak.  First, there is a lot of overlap
between some of our
   packages.  Second, the title just strikes me as some sort of techy
elitest snobbery.

Personal Support
 - as a developer often drawn on for support, I'm not sure I like encouraging
   too much direct-to-developer contact!
 - Perhaps titling it "Supportive Community" and emphasizing the variety
   of support options (from dev contact, community mailing lists, and variety
   of commercial support options).
 - I love the part about "call center scripts" though to be honest
I've seen that
   more in general IT rather than our industry.