[Web Comm] New content. Please review...

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Aug 10 17:16:29 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:51:20PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Based on a quick skim, I think the project pages look good.
>
> >https://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/how_can_i_help_osgeo.html
>
> I found the "how can I help" document great, but very project oriented.
> It doesn't really talk about how people can help OSGeo - instead coming
> across in a very project-community oriented way.

Nod; i really like this narrative; i think it tells most of the story
really well; it could be linking through to the project pages and
connecting from those to project lists, trackers etc...

The 'how i can help OSGeo' aspect - i would like this to comprise
links to the committee pages - a quick overview of 'what this group of
people are doing and what they are focused on' and then each committee
(chair) is responsible for producing 'how can you help us' section.

> >https://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/why_open_source_geospatial.html
(and http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Why_Open_Source_Geospatial )

I think that cholmes has some of the most convincing narrative on this
subject that i've heard. A couple of pointers:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Location+Intelligence+Presentation
(see also http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Location_Intelligence )

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Response_to_RFI_for_US_Gov_GeoSpatial
This is a doc that Chris and Ned Horning did a lot of writing on.
Maybe it's a lot more data-oriented than it is software-oriented and
not so relevant to this - i think you could strengthen the interop.
point from this, though.

Keep it up! More to follow RSN...

cheers,

jo