[Web Comm] Project Owner for www.osgeo.org project

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Thu Jul 6 06:35:17 EDT 2006

On Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:30, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Thanks for the information.  Jason is the appointed authority on the
> web site, and needs access to everything - and the ability to futher
> delegate the ability to update content.  I would encourage you or Auke
> to let him know what aspects should be considered risky to change so
> he knows to consult with Auke before doing so.
>
> Our main objective, as I understand it, is not to alter the
> configuration, but to be in a position where Jason and other members
> of the web committee can update the general web content on the main
> web site.

Well it isn't that risky to change things but we just wanted to make you
aware that you can of course mess up pages or even how the site renders
by editing the contents of the look and www projects.  But when not
doing weird or wicked things in there, it should be fine.

> By the way, Jason keeps mentioning CVS while I've been using SVN to
> update the project pages I'm involved in (incubator, etc).  Are the
> main web pages under SVN or CVS (or will either work?).

For historic reasons, the look and www use CVS as their version control
component.  This is already or will soon be changed to default to SVN
but the osgeo.org site has been set up when CVS was still the default
for those two projects (and subsequent upgrades naturally don't change
CVS repositories to SVN or vice versa).  Is CVS is problem?

Auke