[Web Comm] Web Committee Chair

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Jun 22 14:31:44 EDT 2006

(Sorry for top-posting btw; Outlook is nasty, but I can't use anything
else at work)

Despite Jo's hope for a new lease on life for WebCom, I think that
perhaps its stated responsibilities are too narrow to attract ongoing
commitment and effort.  I had started to take on some of the items that
interested me (site structure, navigation, etc) but really these were
outside of the official scope of WebCom.

At this point, I would be happy to support:
  - killing off WebCom
  - giving VisCom responsibility for site design and structure
  - giving SAC responsibility for platform selection and maintenance
  - joining VisCom (want a slightly used Web Coordinator?)
  - limping along with the current infrastructure until something else
is put in place.

In support of this, I would also suggest:
  - Placing a section in the VisCom todo for webcom tasks (and
abandoning PT)
  - Removing the WebCom project from osgeo.org

Speaking of platforms, what are we doing to ensure that we can
transition?  There is quite a bit of information that is only available
behind our current proprietary infrastructure, such as user lists,
user-to-project mappings, and mailing list archives.

Jason