New Documents: Incubation and Committee Guidelines

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 23 14:02:07 EDT 2006

WebCom,

There have been several documents approved by the board in recent weeks that
I think belong in some form on the public web site.

Today the incubation process documents were approved.  These currently live
in the wiki at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Official_IncCom_Documents_%28status%29

I'm not sure where they would fit on the public web site.

A couple weeks ago we approved the following Committee Guidelines.  These
are mainly aimed at OSGeo participants that are members of committees, so
I don't think it should be too front and center on the web site.  But it
might be "close" to a "how to get involved in OSGeo" page.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Committee_Guidelines

This document applies to WebCom as well as other committees.

We also have documents under development for how to start a local chapter
in the wiki, but these aren't approved yet and so likely shouldn't move
to the main web site yet.  But eventually we will want a directory of
local chapters on the public web site and information on how to start your
own chapter.

A few weeks ago an OSGeo submission was made on a US Government RFI
about future directions for government geospatial stuff.  I wasn't too
involved, but it might make sense to put a "white paper" version of this
document on the public web site.  The associated wiki page is at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Response_to_RFI_for_US_Gov_GeoSpatial

I'm happy to do some nuts and bolts work turning the incubation and
committee guidelines wiki pages into suitable HTML if so desired.  Does
it make sense to leave draft pages without links from the public pages
till the committee is happy with them?  Jason and I discussed how it is
a bit frustrating to have no development web site, and it seems that this
would at least make working on individual pages a bit easier before
publishing.