[Web Comm] New Documents: Incubation and Committee Guidelines

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sat Jun 24 10:37:20 EDT 2006

On Fri, June 23, 2006 20:02, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> WebCom,
>
> There have been several documents approved by the board in recent weeks
> that
> I think belong in some form on the public web site.
>
> Today the incubation process documents were approved.  These currently
> live
> in the wiki at:
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Official_IncCom_Documents_%28status%29

Hi,
I updated the Wiki page to reflect that the documents have been approved.

> I'm not sure where they would fit on the public web site.

Next thing we need to move the docs to the web site and point from the
Wiki to the new location - probably the docs list of IncCom is most
useful:
https://incubator.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

I'd suggest to add them as simple HTML and just link them from docs &
files. No PDF required here.

(Whats Cruise Control & Maven? Get rid of it or move to subfolder if
anybody needs it)

We might want to add more links from other places later.

> A couple weeks ago we approved the following Committee Guidelines.  These
> are mainly aimed at OSGeo participants that are members of committees, so
> I don't think it should be too front and center on the web site.  But it
> might be "close" to a "how to get involved in OSGeo" page.
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Committee_Guidelines

These are relevant for people who want / need to find out about the
governance structure of OSGeo. It is my hope that we might add more
content on how to run an Open Source project effectively within OSGeo.

> This document applies to WebCom as well as other committees.
>
> We also have documents under development for how to start a local chapter
> in the wiki, but these aren't approved yet and so likely shouldn't move
> to the main web site yet.  But eventually we will want a directory of
> local chapters on the public web site and information on how to start your
> own chapter.

Probably it will be helpful to have a "Local Chapters" project as a common
umbrella for all localized/regional activities until (if ever) they start
off as a separate domain/project. BEFORE we start and call it "Local
Chapters" we might to get this approved at a board meeting as there has
been rather little discussion so far.

> A few weeks ago an OSGeo submission was made on a US Government RFI
> about future directions for government geospatial stuff.  I wasn't too
> involved, but it might make sense to put a "white paper" version of this
> document on the public web site.  The associated wiki page is at:
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Response_to_RFI_for_US_Gov_GeoSpatial
>
> I'm happy to do some nuts and bolts work turning the incubation and
> committee guidelines wiki pages into suitable HTML if so desired.  Does
> it make sense to leave draft pages without links from the public pages
> till the committee is happy with them?  Jason and I discussed how it is
> a bit frustrating to have no development web site, and it seems that this
> would at least make working on individual pages a bit easier before
> publishing.

You can tag docs as

  <th>Status</th>
    <select name="status">
       <option value="Draft"
        >Draft</option>
       <option value="Reviewed"
        >Reviewed</option>
       <option value="Baselined"
        >Baselined</option>
       <option value="Stable"
        >Stable</option>
       <option value="Archival"
        >Archival</option>
       <option value="Obsolete"
        >Obsolete</option>
    </select>

with default CN functionality. That should be fine.

Arnulf

> Best regards,
> --

Arnulf Christl