[Web Comm] Coordination on board nominations.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 13:10:44 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> I have SVN access (not sure if it's write access - haven't wanted to
> risk it) to the webcom project, but I can't figure out how to get into
> the main www site.

Jason,

OK, that's a first step.  I would encourage you to test your SVN access,
even if it is just to commit a small comment in the webcommittee.osgeo.org
index.html and then commit a removal after seeing it on the web site.

I especially want to ensure that you are all able to update stuff like the
sidebar info (About the foundation, etc)

To that end I have some suggestions on the limited existing content:

  o Don't put the word "final" after the FAQ on governance.html.  It is
    not final.  It is just official.  And we don't need to add that because
    it is on the official web site.

  o In the FAQ change I think we should be removing "In line with the
    do-acracy, those who contribute to the foundation goals will be
    recognised in the future with voting memberships."  It is premature
    for us to say this, and in any event most people who contribute to
    the goals will not get voting memberships unless we accept many
    thousands of voting members.

  o the "Foundation Officers" and "Board Members" menu items both go to
    the board members list.  I would you contract this to one menu item
    (Board and Officers) and list them all in one page.  It isn't that long
    a list.  The Officers are "President: Frank Warmerdam", "Treasurer: Gary
    Lang", "Secretary: Rich Steele".

  o Please put the bylaws under Corporation Documents.  They are finalized
    in the wiki.  Leave out Articles of Incorporation till we have them.

  o I would prefer not to have anything on the web site about sponsors or
    sponsorship till after we have a sponsorship program worked out.  So,
    please remove the sponsorship.html page too.

  o Please do populate the Committees page.  I have already done some
    minimal work on the Incubator committee page (incubator.osgeo.org).
    You should do at least as much for WebCOM.  Please encourage or provide
    support to Arnulf to do the same for the promotions committee.

  o Yipee!  I am pleased about the membership list.   I would like to see a
    comment here that we are working on the associate membership process
    or something to that effect.

I would stress that the Web Committee is authorized to do stuff on the web
site without external (ie. board) instruction as long as it is not
controversial and is not "setting board policy".  So, get organized, get
working and don't worry too much about making a few mistakes and having to
fix them up.

All the above suggestions are suggestions only.  You can do them, or not,
but if you aren't careful I am going to ask to formally join WebCOM just
so I can dig in and do stuff!  And if you have seen my other web pages
(ie. http://pobox.com/~warmerdam) you know you don't want me doing the
web site.  My greatest advance since the mid-90s was using white as a
background instead of the default grey (though white seems to be the
default background in modern browsers anyways).