[Web Comm] Logo Contest revisited

Fred Warnock fred.warnock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:39:22 EST 2006

This is looking good Jason,

I think one thing is missing however.  I'm not sure how to express it
exactly, but I think that a version the logo should be reproducible with
one color or two colors.  This is especially important when printing
things like letterhead and stuff where you need to save costs by using a
monotone or duotone logo.

The free BSD example clearly has versions like this that satisfy that
requirement.  The bottom one on the right is a two colour logo, while
the three to the left of that one are one colour logos.

The Joomla visual identity package also contained 1 and 2 colour
examples, but their page is not responding right now, so I can't quote
the page.

<thinking out loud>All this being said, I doubt armatures with a spark
of an idea would be able to finish a logo like this.  I wonder if we
would also accept "partial" submissions, which are simply logo
concepts.  This could perhaps be another category?  Just an idea to get
more participation. I'm a "designer" myself, but I find logo's to be
extremely time consuming and challenging, and I probably won't
contribute, but If I do get an idea I might want to submit
that....</thinking out loud>

One last thing we need to consider.  Logo's must be completely
original.  I have seen several examples over the years when logo's have
not been original, either accidentally or intentionally... let's face
it, there are tonnes of logos out there that depict our planet, and I
suspect we'll get a few ;)

maybe the line in Contest Parameters should read as follows (bolded text
is my addition) "The designer also certifies that the logo *is
completely original and* does not infringe upon the rights of any third
party and that it does not violate any copyright."

fred