[Web Comm] content creation restart

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Oct 2 17:51:23 EDT 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> Hmm.  I hope my reply didn't come off as confrontational.

No worries :-)
> Anyway... I was thinking about marketing to technical users as being
> different from marketing to management users.  And I guess I was
> thinking about upper management, who have to be convinced on strategy
> levels why OSGeo is important, to the exclusion of technical management
> who have to be informed which OSGeo components they can use to solve
> their business needs.  In any case, definitely not thinking about real
> nuts and bolts technical documentation; I agree that this needs to be
> met at the consultant or project level.

That is a useful distinction, I did try to account for that in my
"target users", one of the users
was assigned the task of reporting to upper management, our job is to
provide information on what
we got going on using language that makes sense (and can be compared
directly against) the
ESRI solutions (and smallworld and ...).
-
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus#George_.28ESRI_Professional.29

Can you tailor this profile to fit the need you describe more specifically?
> I think that the current "info sheets" meet a lot of the needs, but
> there does need to be some kind of meta-document structure that links
> into those.  I think that a capabilities document showing inputs and
> outputs would be a good idea, as well as a couple nice model diagrams
> (what's the open source equivalent of Visio?)
Inkscape, sort of, at least it provides dynamic connections. Or open office.
> that show potential enterprise configurations, such as PostGIS base,
> with GRASS and GDAL for server-side scheduled analysis, QGIS and OSSIM on the desktop,
> MapServer/GeoServer/MapGuide on the web service level, and
> OpenLayers/Chameleon/etc on the web.  It might also be useful to target
> some proprietary tools in this graph as "synonyms" for the various
> levels.  My problem is that I'm fuzzy on the capabilities on all of
> these tools, and have probably even made mistakes in this email.

Fair enough, so to get started we need to provide something for people
to revise.
> Can you add stubs for the pages that you think are important to develop
> to the "Develop Content" section of this page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebComTODO
>
> I've added an item for this week's meeting here so we can talk about
> this on IRC:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_Meeting_20061004

What I am going to do is make a table of "project" vs "target user" and
have already talked to the
GeoTools community about filling in the blanks for that project.
Something that came out of the IRC
meeting were:
- example word template
- questions about visibility for members (or corporations) writing the
docs - email address is fine, having a logo on a page would be better,
and letting them use their own template would be too much?

Cheers,
Jody