Membership application form and OSGeo Member Map Service

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Sep 12 11:10:31 EDT 2006

dear all,

the CCGIS crew put together an OSGeo member map based on the feed from
the community.osgeo.org drupal site. I had a quick go at dropping it
back into drupal -
http://community.osgeo.org/en/membership

just taking the source from
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Osgeo_members

The stuff on the left of the IFRAME seems like overkill, and means the
map doesn't fit in the frame properly; is it easy with mapbender to
remove the left hand side and just have the map on the right?

I guess at this point I am non-optimistic about the membership
application form and map being used here at F0SS4G. I would like to be
able to point people at this site - there are definitely interested
lurkers who want membership options and benefits explained to them, i
talked to one today.

No-one on VisCom replied to my request for a short, coherent summary
of benefits of membership. It wasn't really discussed at the F2F -
most of the details were ironed out at the previous one.

It would be great if this could still be useful, at least for
registering membership interest at the stall, but I am reluctant to
expose the community.osgeo.org URL even in a fairly private / local
way while the membership page still says "insert paragraph about benefits
here".

I guess the conclusion of this experience is that sporadic, volunteer
commitment is not enough to produce something acceptable, and I'll try
to view this as a learning experience and not as a failure.

jo