[Web Comm] Re: Membership application form and OSGeo Member Map Service

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 12 11:45:35 EDT 2006

> the CCGIS crew put together an OSGeo member map based on
the feed from
> the community.osgeo.org drupal site. I had a quick go at
dropping it
> back into drupal -
> http://community.osgeo.org/en/membership
>
> just taking the source from
> http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Osgeo_members
>
> The stuff on the left of the IFRAME seems like overkill, and
means the
> map doesn't fit in the frame properly; is it easy with mapbender
> remove the left hand side and just have the map on the right?

I think just having the map, with default 'zoom in' when clicked
behaviour would be enough. ?

> I guess at this point I am non-optimistic about the membership
> application form and map being used here at F0SS4G. I would
like to be
> able to point people at this site - there are definitely interested
> lurkers who want membership options and benefits explained to
them, i
> talked to one today.

I continued to tweak the new user registration form - have a look
at it.  There are checkboxes for signing up as a member or to learn
more as a sponsor.  I don't mind changing any of this.

> No-one on VisCom replied to my request for a short, coherent
summary
> of benefits of membership. It wasn't really discussed at the F2F -
> most of the details were ironed out at the previous one.

Sorry, I missed that need - guess I was more focused on the app
itself :/

> It would be great if this could still be useful, at least for
> registering membership interest at the stall, but I am reluctant to
> expose the community.osgeo.org URL even in a fairly private /
local
> way while the membership page still says "insert paragraph
about
> benefits
> here".

I'd suggest we just tell people to register on the site and then
afterwards we can follow up with them because we'll at least have a
list of interested folks.

I'll go right now and add a checkbox "FOR MORE INFO. RE:
MEMBERSHIP"...