[Web Comm] Fresh content

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Sep 22 11:54:22 EDT 2006

dear Auke, all, sorry I am so behind on email.
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 05:23:09AM -0700, Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Perhaps we could have a spotlight on Markus Neteler, linking to and in
> response to him receiving the Sol Katz Award?

This is a really great idea.
> Also, perhaps it would be good to set up a spotlight about Jo's Drupal
> site to introduce it to people and have them take a look at it and
> provide feedback?

It badly needs a design / layout overhaul - I've been holding off on
pushing the prototype around the community until this happens - really
wanting first impressions to be as positive as possible. Plus it needs
more of a content creation walkthrough. At the board f2f meeting were
lots of "there should be simple collaborative blogging for the
committees and for the board itself", "there should be member
mapping", "there should be easy-to-gett-working translation", and i'm
there thinking "well, the prototype already *does* all of that" - it's
just not visibly obvious yet - there needs to be some provision for
howto walkthrough etc.

Having said all this I'd definitely like to get it in front of more
peoples' eyes while it's still in a "how is this sandbox" state where
not too much effort has been put into it. It gets a bit chicken and
egg which is why I'd like a neutral, basic design - CSS plus some
layout and navigation UI sketches - that can be reused on the current
site if that's worth the while, and on the project sites or the wiki too.

But I am very overloaded at the moment. I want to finish reworking
Tyler's infrastructure document ASAP, so that it's possible to budget
plan for design work and setup support for any more work on this.

Personally I want to start focusing my OSGeo time on geodata a lot
more; if web platform or content development is bottlenecking on me,
it could bottleneck for a long while :( Apologies; unpredicatable life
changes and so on...

cheers,

jo