[Webcom] Meeting tomorrow...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 4 09:11:26 EDT 2007

Jason Birch wrote:
> It would be great if we could get an update by email on the membership
> management app and/or business directory.
>
> Also, an update on LDAP stuff.

Jason,

With regard to membership management, Amr Mostafa is looking into implementing
a membership application roughly corresponding to:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Membership_Application

It will be implemented in PHP within drupal and will store auxilary OSGeo
membership information within Drupal's Mysql instance.   Membership details
will be related to an OSGeo LDAP Userid.  There is no timeline for
implementation but I believe Amr will provide us with updates as things
progress.

With regards to LDAP:

  1) I have created an http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid landing page to
     describe how OSGeo userid's work.

  2) It points to our existing form for creating new OSGeo LDAP Userids.

  3) It also points to a form for searching for OSGeo Userids (by name)

  4) I just implemented a form for managing membership in LDAP groups which
     we primarily use for Subversion committer status now.

  5) I believe Tyler is still investigating mechanisms for users to create,
     or at least update their own LDAP entries via a Drupal module.  If this
     does not pan out, I am prepared to write another one of my jiffy
     Python forms based cgi's to do this.  In particular we need:
       - users edit name and email address.
       - users request a password reminder by email.
       - users change their own password.

While back-end LDAP stuff can be considered SAC's responsibility, I think
that WebCom needs to ensure the "user web experience" for typical visitors
who need userids be smooth, and also that Webcom should be responsible for
any of the PHP/etc that runs in Drupal.