[Webcom] Sitemap, content and languages

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Sun Feb 25 11:11:52 EST 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> (How) are we going to make sure that each language has identical content?
>
> Maybe we can define a minimal set of pages, fx. the main pages in the top
> two menus that have to be translated and have to be identical. There is a
> Wiki page that could be used to keep track:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Portal_Translation_Status
>
> All other pages would then automagically grow whenever the corresponding
> lanugage group decides to do it / finds volunters, etc. How can this be
> made transparent to the casual passer by?

What is the minimum 'granularity' for "something to be translated"?
Is the "the content of 1 webpage", or can it be made to be
"the content of a block of text"?

If it can be fairly granular, AND if there is a practical
(i.e. easy, automated) way to extract "the block of text",
then it may be worth looking at making use of something
like the Translation Project:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/

If something like that would work - where 'stuff for
translation' is made available to a pool of people
who can do translations - then people within OSGeo
who have the ability to do translations could act
more as 'language coordinators', doing things such
as review translation results (i.e. quality control),
do translations of time-sensitive things, etc.

--
Dave Patton

http://www.confluence.org/

Personal website - Maps, GPS, etc.