[WebCom] Re: event module, etc..

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 12 04:05:14 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this calendar was what I was missing:
>> http://community.osgeo.org/en/event
>>
>> Is it going to come back, can it be copied from osgeo.community.org?
>> It had this cool feature of counting down the days until the next
>> event promoted to the front page (Upcoming events).
>
> Yes, it can be easily added right away - especially if I just make it a
> separate page.  We can also put it up as a summary 'block' in one of the
> sidebars - but wonder if it fits well with our site focus.  To what
> extent does webcom feel we should put stuff on front page - versus have
> a separate set of pages for 'community' focused stuff?

Hi,
I think you got me wrong here. Its not about any "'community' focused stuff" it is about the events that OSGeo appears at, be it a large public events like Intergeo or small but focused ones like FOSS4G. From a VisCom perspective this is most important and needs to be promoted on the very first front page. We need to get people informed about what is going on, where they can get to see or talk to OSGeo personally etc. Ideally people see current events on the front page and one single click on the calendar brings them to the list of the events.

I added Mumbai, Australia and FOSS4G as events, see here:
http://community.osgeo.org/

> For my personal opinion, I would like to see a community section built
> into the web site that includes some of the items we were prototyping on
> the community.osgeo.org site.  What do others think?

As I already said - I believe that it is very difficult to tell the "community" where to go to as it is stubborn, highly independent and a she.

> This seems like it might be a good time to review/debate/agree on a site
> plan as was brought up a few times in the past.
>
> Tyler

Yes, this will also mean that we have to arbitrate, conciliate, mediate and moderate different interests. Webspace is like real estate and we are in the middle of an interest race for the central business district.

>From this perspective I also suggest to install a separate Wiki for MapGuide discussions, their changes make it more difficult to follow Foundation related issues in the main OSGeo Wiki.

Regards, Arnulf.