[Webcom] Motion: Remove motion requirement for translator role

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Jun 10 09:49:52 EDT 2007

On Fri, June 8, 2007 18:29, Dave Patton wrote:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>> I'd add that I think webcom should be notified of new translators and
>>> we should have a master list of some sort relating translators to
>>> languages.
>
>> I very much second the idea proposed by Frank. We do not yet have a
>> register of translators and I suggest to go for it with a new Wiki
>> category. Anybody involved in translating should (must) have a Wiki page
>> anyway to be able to update the (still not very nice) Portal Translation
>> Status page in the Wiki at:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Portal_Translation_Status
>
> If a wiki page is created that is "about translation",
> then the first task of a new translator (even one who
> will be translating the same language as an existing
> translator) could be to translate that page.
>
> The translator's mentor could oversee that process.

Dave,
you bring up a role "translator's mentor" that is not defined yet but
which could make sense. Do you have any particular idea on how to do that?
Naturally the person nominating/adding the new translator would fit into
that role.

Otoh we should also be careful to not over-formalize things. I remember
having formalized how to propose and manage events resulting in people not
submitting their ideas any more...

> If the 'type' of page, and it's content, is suitably
> arranged (perhaps even artificially so), then
> translating it could serve as a useful exercise in
> getting the new translator familiar with various issues
> they might face when doing the 'real' translations.
>
> --
> Dave Patton

There is some technical information on how to go about things, Tyler put
them together in the Wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Portal_Translations

Basically going through these points, if necessary explaining them to new
translators and answering questions should be all that is needed to do.

Maybe we can discuss this at the next WebCom meeting.

Regards,

--
Arnulf Benno Christl
http://www.osgeo.org