[Webcom] Motion: Remove motion requirement for translator role

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri Jun 8 12:29:28 EDT 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I'd add that I think webcom should be notified of new translators and
>> we should have a master list of some sort relating translators to
>> languages.

> I very much second the idea proposed by Frank. We do not yet have a
> register of translators and I suggest to go for it with a new Wiki
> category. Anybody involved in translating should (must) have a Wiki page
> anyway to be able to update the (still not very nice) Portal Translation
> Status page in the Wiki at:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Portal_Translation_Status

If a wiki page is created that is "about translation",
then the first task of a new translator (even one who
will be translating the same language as an existing
translator) could be to translate that page.

The translator's mentor could oversee that process.

If the 'type' of page, and it's content, is suitably
arranged (perhaps even artificially so), then
translating it could serve as a useful exercise in
getting the new translator familiar with various issues
they might face when doing the 'real' translations.

--
Dave Patton

http://www.confluence.org/

Personal website - Maps, GPS, etc.