[Webcom] Organize and structure the wiki

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Jun 10 10:01:05 EDT 2007

On Sun, June 10, 2007 10:57, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> Le Samedi 9 Juin 2007 23:19, Dave Patton a écrit :
>> Yves Jacolin wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to organize the francophone section of the wiki so I am
>> > proposing to create namespace for each local chapter.
>>
>> So what would you do if there were french-speaking
>> local chapters in Montreal, Quebec and Paris, France?
> Hi Dave,
>
> Well, today the francophone local chapter aims to group all french
> speaking
> people : from Quebec to Vietnam via France, Belgium, Swiss ... ;-)
>
> BTW, if the local chapter is not group by the langage but by geographic
> location, indeed we could get two local chapters with the same langage.
> Thus
> it could be interesting to define a local chapter : is it a group of
> people
> speaking the same langage? Is it a group of people living close each other
> (l. c. =geographic location) ? Both of them?
>
> I just proposed to get the same structure inside the wiki so if there are
> two
> local chapters, for instance: Quebec and France, we wil get two
> namespaces. I
> understand it could be seems to create a gap between them. But to me,
> namespace is just wiki organization. Am I right?
>
> I would like to follow your exemple again: if there are these two local
> chapters, it will be important that both of them work together about
> translation, ... except for tradeshows, booths, local contact. It may not
> be
> useful to get this two local chapters? Together they will be stronger and
> it
> could be possible to organize the local chapter in order to allow some
> people
> to be present in local tradeshow. This is why we are creating (on-going)
> one
> francophone local chapter: we are stronger together.
>
> Thanks Dave to run this topic because it's an important question which I
> will
> report to the francophone mailinglist. I hope that you undestand my poor
> english. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> --
> Yves Jacolin

Hey Yves,
would you care to join VisCom - we are very much in need of people who are
tied into local chapters *and* capable of communicating both in English
and another (ideally their native) language.

I think many of your questions and ideas are cross-related to technical
and content issues addressed by WebCom and outreach and visibility tasks
promoted by VisCom. Seeing that you are very active I would like to get
you into one of these two chapters formally (as VisCom chair I obviously
wnat to have you in "my" committee... :-). This might also help you
talking to 'your' francophone community as you will be able to talk as a
more formal representative of OSGeo. Beware of going too far though, else
people might think that you have defected to OSGeo and deserted them
(which is my trouble with some Grrrrmns).

Best regards,
Arnulf.

PS:
You can quit apologizing for your English - it is perfectly fine to make
people get what you mean. I believe that many do not speak up at all out
of fear that their English is not good enough. Bu this should never be an
issue. If anything is unclear to people they should ask again.

--
Arnulf Benno Christl
http://www.osgeo.org