[Webcom] Organize and structure the wiki

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Jun 18 10:34:53 EDT 2007

Le Monday 18 June 2007 16:19:08 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo), vous avez écrit :
> On 16-Jun-07, at 5:33 AM, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> > After checking the way to create namespace in mediawiki, it appears
> > that it
> > could be done only by administror
> > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Custom_namespaces) because it
> > need to
> > edit some config php file.
>
> This is a problem, as I don't think anyone on Webcom actually has
> access to the server for these kinds of changes.
>
> > Another namespace is used : OSGEO :
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGEO:Community_Portal
> > Bu it seems not really used as it should be ! ;-)
>
> Do you think we should be using this namespace?
>
> Tyler
Hi,

Well basicly, using a namsepace for one page doesn't seem useful to me. A
namespace allow to organize the wiki in different part. Each parts are
independant from each other but are always inside the same wiki. It allow to
use custom template, searching only inside it. Furthermore, OSGEO namespace
could be view like the main namespace (default namespace).

If I try to find a comparison, it could be like subdomain inside a domain. The
domain is the wiki, the sub-domain is the namespace. Or it could be like a
directories inside a filesystem.

Here is a link from wikipedai which explain the concept:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Namespace

Regards,

Y.
--