[Webcom] Publishing the conference project pages

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 14 12:55:24 EDT 2007

Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> 1. List the Conference project in the right "OSGeo Projects" menu (the
>> conference page is currently not linked from anywhere).  I suppose it
>> only fits in the "Other Projects" section of that menu.

Jeff,

I'm not too sure I like this idea.  Having a link to the actual conference
web site is of course a no-brainer.  We want this to be easy for anyone to
find, and to promote it.

But we haven't generally tried to advertise internal working committees
like the conference committee, SAC, WebCom and VisCom directly from the
main site.  They are of course fairly conveniently available from the main
wiki page and from the http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/committees.html
page linked from the "About the Foundation" page.

>> 2. The conference page is made up of several other pages, and it would
>> be nice to have a left sidebar menu for the conference section (the beta
>> drupal instance had this for the conference section).  Is this possible
>> with the live version?

I certainly don't know how to do this, and I'm a bit nervous about putting
much time into customizations like this.

>> 3. Conference files (pdf, doc, etc.) live on the osgeo.org machine in
>> /files/conference/, and we need to upload more files.  The existing
>> files were ported from the beta drupal site, but now I am not sure how
>> to add more.  Is that possible?

I haven't been following the whole file management issue closely.  Assuming
there has been no progress on that front, I think you need to make any
additions available to a system administrator (Howard, Shawn or I for instance)
and get them to copy them onto the server.

Note that above I am not speaking authoritatively on behalf of WebCom.