[Webcom] Spotlights

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 11 12:19:02 EDT 2007

On 9-Oct-07, at 7:42 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> In the interest of getting new content, and following up on the Sol
> Katz
> award, I have solicited a spotlight from Steve.  I have entered it at:
>
>   http://www.osgeo.org/node/447
>
> It is based pretty much on the questions from Markus' interview a year
> ago.  It is using the special "Spotlight" content type in Drupal.  I'm
> not really sure what that does though.  Tyler, perhaps you could
> comment?

That content type was created specifically so that Spotlights/
interviews can populate our custom "list" - that is, appears in its
own Drupal block.  It was also to help provide structure for the
basic content, rather than just a free-form single text box for
input.  Note it includes an image upload too, I'm just not sure how
perfect that part works.

Basically just think of it like the news items you create - they go
straight into a block, showing a short abstract on the front page,
but have a link to the full content as well.

> I tried not publishing the page but it still showed up on the front
> page,
> so I set the date back a couple years so it wouldn't be visible.

If it is not published, then anonymous users can't see it.  But since
you are logged in, I think it will show for you personally.  Try
fixing it, then logging out and see.

> For formatting I just used "full html", and inserted <b>Q:</b> and
> <b>A:</b> in front of questions and answers.  Do we want a more
> structured
> format?

Works for me!

> Tyler, what process do we need to go through to have Bob and Micha
> given
> content-creator priveledges in Drupal so they can work on spotlights?

I just need to know Bob's osgeo user id, then you enable the
"translator" role in his account. I have just enabled these
privileges for Micha.