[Webcom] OSGeo and internet domains

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Oct 11 13:23:29 EDT 2007

WebCom,

Does OSGeo have a clear policy with respect to registration and
management of internet domain names? Should all OSGeo-related domains be
owned and managed by OSGeo, or shoudl they be owned and managed by the
OSGeo sub-entity (e.g. local chapter or conference committee) they
relate to?

The French chapter is starting to get organized, and one of the
questions that came up was the registration of the osgeo.fr domain. It's
not clear whether anything would ever be hosted under osgeo.fr, but at a
minimum we should get the domain and setup a redirection on it that
sends visitors to the main French Chapter page on the osgeo.org servers.

My question is: should the osgeo.fr domain be registered and managed by
OSGeo, or by the French Chapter members? And if OSGeo is the answer then
who is the contact? Tyler?

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette