[Webcom] OSGeo and internet domains

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 11 13:49:01 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> WebCom,
>
> Does OSGeo have a clear policy with respect to registration and
> management of internet domain names? Should all OSGeo-related domains be
> owned and managed by OSGeo, or shoudl they be owned and managed by the
> OSGeo sub-entity (e.g. local chapter or conference committee) they
> relate to?
>
> The French chapter is starting to get organized, and one of the
> questions that came up was the registration of the osgeo.fr domain. It's
> not clear whether anything would ever be hosted under osgeo.fr, but at a
> minimum we should get the domain and setup a redirection on it that
> sends visitors to the main French Chapter page on the osgeo.org servers.
>
> My question is: should the osgeo.fr domain be registered and managed by
> OSGeo, or by the French Chapter members? And if OSGeo is the answer then
> who is the contact? Tyler?

Daniel,

I don't know what the answer is. :-)

OSGeo currently maintains the osgeo.org, osgeo.net, osgeo.org, foss4g2007.org
and foss4g2008.org domains via pairnic.  The responsibility, I think, lies with
SAC rather than WebCom.

Any SAC http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SAC:Primary_Administrators has the
capacity to register a dns entry with pairnic using the OSGeo account.  I
would suggest filing SAC tickets to get one registered.

I'm really not all that keen on us maintaining DNS entries in many countries,
but if we are going to have some of them, I think it would be most convenient
to have them registered by OSGeo itself.  So, assuming no one feels strongly
that it shouldn't be done, I don't see any harm in us registering osgeo.fr
and pointing it whereever the Francophone chapter sees fit.