[SAC] Re: [Webcom] OSGeo and internet domains

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Oct 16 07:54:02 EDT 2007

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> 2007/10/12, Lorenzo Becchi <lorenzo at ominiverdi.com>:
>> the idea, if  I've understood, was to redirect from osgeo.es and other
>> regional extension to osgeo.org
>>
>> but your idea could be good to have direct language choice.
>> es: spanish.osgeo.org ->
>> http://www.osgeo.org/switchuilocale/es?destination=bienvenido
>> or something like that....
>> than www.osgeo.es could redirect to spanish.osgeo.org
>>
>> does it make sense?
>>

> IMHO, it doesn't make sense because I think we are not going to get
> all the .mx .cl .co .ar and the rest of Spanish spoken countries.
>
> Maybe at this time in the Spanish LC, Spaniards are the majority but I
> hope we will count with more and more people from SouthAmerica. And I
> expect that LC name is not confusing them...
>
> I wonder why all the people say "Spanish" for the language and in
> Spain we say "Castellano", not "Español" for our language. It's like
> the "Free" ambiguity in English... OK, forget me :P

Hehe,
I thought I was doing the right thing when I renamed "Spanish" to "Español" in the Wiki. This happens when ignorant people try to help out... :-)

What is the term for "Spanish" used by South Americans? If they also tend to say "Castellano" then we should stick with that. I think "Español" is more likely to be understandable to English speaking folks but by way of exception in this case that is not really important.

We all know how important it can be "Whats in a name" and should rather amended it asap if necessary. Links still grow into networks and sites at a rather high rate in OSGeo and not all are as friendly to renaming and redirecting as the Wiki is:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Special:Whatlinkshere/Espa%C3%B1ol

Please consider discussing this on the "Spanish" mailing list (ha, there we have it again...) and come back with something like a consensus to Tyler (SAC/WebCom).

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Benno Christl