[SAC] Re: [Webcom] OSGeo and internet domains

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz_listas at geomaticblog.net
Tue Oct 16 08:35:47 EDT 2007

2007/10/16, Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) <arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com>:

> Hehe,
> I thought I was doing the right thing when I renamed "Spanish" to "Español" in the Wiki. This happens when ignorant people try to help out... :-)
>
> What is the term for "Spanish" used by South Americans? If they also tend to say "Castellano" then we should stick with that. I think "Español" is more likely to be understandable to English speaking folks but by way of exception in this case that is not really important.
>
> We all know how important it can be "Whats in a name" and should rather amended it asap if necessary. Links still grow into networks and sites at a rather high rate in OSGeo and not all are as friendly to renaming and redirecting as the Wiki is:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Special:Whatlinkshere/Espa%C3%B1ol
>
> Please consider discussing this on the "Spanish" mailing list (ha, there we have it again...) and come back with something like a consensus to Tyler (SAC/WebCom).
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.

Hi,

They use "Español" and in context, is well understood, but in this
case (LC name) I think it could be misunderstood and confusing. On
every paper I write I try to remember that to avoid confusion (and
attract South American people). I think "Castellano" will not be
understood.

In fact I think in English "Spanish Local Chapter" is OK but "Spanish
Language Local Chapter" is better as we don't have any direct
translation for beautiful homonym for French: "Francophone". In
Spanish translation is worse, but we will try to found something
attractive ;)

We discussed that on the gvSIG people in Victoria and is an issue I
want to fix ASAP, of course on the Spanish List.

Anyway, tomorrow I will see Daniel Orellana (User:Kangrex) from
Ecuador (and in OSGeo Spanish) and I will try to discuss that with him
just to try to find something to propose to the list.

Regards,
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía