[Webcom] RE: [Marketing] Website Redesign

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Dec 12 12:09:37 EST 2008

I disagree :)

It's not about content or graphic design, it's about user experience and
findability.  A redesign has to be primarily about ensuring that the
site functions as well as possible.   You can have all of the content in
the world, or the prettiest site in the world, but they are both useless
if users can't immediately access the information they need.  The most
important part of a site design is knowing who your users are, what they
are looking for, and figuring out how to get them to it faster.

Any redesign needs to start from a document like this (unfinished?):
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus
and be informed by accurate and intensive analysis of the web site's
current traffic patterns.  I don't think that we have the latter, and
would recommend something like Google Analytics for proper analysis.
The open source traffic analysis tools do not offer nearly the insight
that can be gained through Analytics, especially with its new custom
reports and segmentation features.

A redesign should also keep in mind search engine optimisation, because
most users will use their favourite search engine to find what they're
looking for rather than go to our main page.  Some of our content could
certainly do with some reorganisation, and there are some topics that we
need to write new content for.  For instance, searching for "OSGeo
Software" or "OSGeo Projects" or "OSGeo Source Code" do not come up with
useful results in Google.  Topics that have individual treatment come up
with good results (such as "OSGeo Sponsor").

We also need to look at adding a search engine to the site.  Users that
give up trying to find information via random search terms (and don't
know about the site: modifier) come to our site and are then stuck
trying to navigate to what they want.  We provide far too many options
on our main page, and don't address user/role segmentation at all, so
finding what they want will be a frustrating experience.  If Drupal's
search sucks, then set up a Google Custom Search Engine.  As a
non-profit, we can get one for free that doesn't run ads.  I know that
some people want to use open source tools for everything, but we need to
pick our battles and use our limited resources in the most effective way
possible to accomplish _our_ mission.

And yes, finally, we may need a bit of a layout redesign.  My preference
would be to drop the left and right menus from the main page, and
simplify the user experience.  I think that the Mozilla Foundation is a
good example of this:  http://www.mozilla.org/  Apache has gone part of
the way with the "quick-button" links at the top of the page, but I
think they could easily drop the second column on the right:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/

Notice that I didn't talk about colours, logo positioning, etc at all.
It's about functionality.  All of this is well within Drupal's
out-of-the-box capabilities.

Jason