[Webcom] RE: [Marketing] Website Redesign

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Dec 12 13:19:40 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I believe we also lack a lot of content to serve the needs expressed
> in the site focus document.  ie. case studies, white papers providing
> overall guidance.

Yes, understood.

> I'm generally supportive of your ideas on findability, search
> optimization and so forth, though SEO seems like voodoo to me.

We're in an enviable position.  As an authority site (lots and lots of
places link to us) we basically just need to create good content with
descriptive titles and headings, and our pages will do well.  There are
a lot of things that we could do better on the current site (better
titles, descriptions so that our SERPs are more attractive, targeting
terms like "open geospatial", etc) but in general we've got good
positioning.

> I honestly can't see this (dropping lots of stuff from the main page)
> making that much difference, but I suppose that's why I'm not a user
> experience guy.

Me neither, not really, but I think that giving new users that end up on
the main page a clear path is important.

Jason