[Webcom] German language translation of the main page & general confusion

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 25 09:05:02 EST 2008

Hi,
sorry that I did not check earlier - but it seems that since the last uphaul there is no more German language entry page. I cannot translate the start page either - at least it is not a standard page?!

When I am logged in as arnulf I see the pages:
* http://www.osgeo.org/
* http://www.osgeo.org/home
as can be seen in this screen shot:
http://www.mapbender.org/presentations/osgeo_frontpage.png

I cannot edit the link behind the German language menu item that currently points to the alias <front>. I cannot translate the page <front> either as I do not know the id of that page.

When I am not logged in there appears a German language text - but I don't know who created it and cannot edit it either.

Now (not logged in) the pages:
* http://www.osgeo.org/home
* http://www.osgeo.org/
look like this:
http://www.mapbender.org/presentations/osgeo_frontpage1.png

Which is better but still different to the EN version where both Tom and Markus community spots are also displayed.

The German language page that served as start page before it was changed to the new design at:
http://www.osgeo.org/startseite
is not to be found anywhere at all anymore.

If you compare the News section on both screen shots you will also see that the German language News section still shows News from 2006 and only one upcoming event but the one where I am logged in shows newer events.

I just translated the news "Mapbender dev sprint..." https://www.osgeo.org/node/539/ but it does not appear when I switch locale from EN to DE.

All in all I must confess that I feel thoroughly lost.

I know that Drupal can do this right because I am using it in other contexts but obviously this page is somewhat complex and has grown larger with many cooks. Please don't be offended, I know its a tricky thing. Does it make sense to follow up on these issues through Trac or is it a more general issue of me being to dumb to manage the web site?

Best regards,
Arnulf.