[Webcom] Front page changes

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Jul 4 12:02:17 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I've been reading through some marketing documents and tried to take
a more critical eye to our front page (http://osgeo.org) - to reduce
info overload among other things - I think I see a few ways we might
be able to make it a bit cleaner.  See my rough hacked example
(ignore style errors, <hr> problems, unrounded corners, etc.  I just
did this screen shot with some local files.).  At this scale and with
these changes it almost fits perfectly onto my little macbook 13"
screen:

http://www.osgeo.org/files/tyler/site_ideas.png

1 - Reduce the spotlights from 3 to 1 entry - e.g. the latest
showing, plus the "more" link.  Maybe set it so it's a full page wide
instead of only one column.
2 - Then bump the News block over to the left to make it a bit
tighter and put more dynamic content in front of the viewer.
3 - Disable the search function - I don't think it actually works
well, unless we don't have it configured right.  (For example
"FOSS4G" didn't yield anything related to FOSS4G 2008, and "degree"
didn't return anything about the degree application)
4 - Then move the FOSS4G advert up into the header where Search was.
This will move almost all the software projects in the right sidebar
up to be more visible.
5 - Simplify the "Welcome to..." text to this:
"The Open Source Geospatial Foundation...
Created to support and build the highest-quality open source
geospatial software. Our goal is to encourage the use and
collaborative development of community-led projects.  Join us by
signing up to our mailing lists or check out the Getting Started page
to become more involved.
6 - Reduce the number of news and events in the listing (one less)
7 - Update to new logo when ready:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/logo/OSGeo/PNG/
OSGeo_Main.png

What do you think?  Any other ideas, comments or concerns?  I'm sure
there are more ideas for fixes waiting in the wings especially as
marketing committee starts to dig into it.

Best wishes,