[Webcom] Front page changes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 4 12:19:21 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> 1 - Reduce the spotlights from 3 to 1 entry - e.g. the latest showing,
> plus the "more" link.  Maybe set it so it's a full page wide instead of
> only one column.

Tyler,

I would suggest dropping the Spotlights from the center block entirely
until such time as we start producing new content.  It is still accessable
from the OSGeo Community listing in the meantime.

> 2 - Then bump the News block over to the left to make it a bit tighter
> and put more dynamic content in front of the viewer.
> 3 - Disable the search function - I don't think it actually works well,
> unless we don't have it configured right.  (For example "FOSS4G" didn't
> yield anything related to FOSS4G 2008, and "degree" didn't return
> anything about the degree application)

Note, the project is named "deegree". I have also generally found the
search mechanism rather ineffective, but I don't know why.  I'd prefer to
actually get it working, but as long as it works poorly hiding it might
be a good idea.

> 7 - Update to new logo when ready:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/logo/OSGeo/PNG/OSGeo_Main.png

What! Is our logo changing?

> What do you think?  Any other ideas, comments or concerns?  I'm sure
> there are more ideas for fixes waiting in the wings especially as
> marketing committee starts to dig into it.

I think this is good progress and I think it is important to make periodic
efforts to simplify and streamline as we have a tendency to accumulate stuff
over time.